[Panel-devel] Xgl, AiGLX, EXA, Compiz, Luminocity, QT4...

Pierre D. pinaraf at robertlan.eu.org
Mon Mar 20 18:30:02 CET 2006

Le Lundi 20 Mars 2006 01:44, Zbigniew Braniecki a écrit :
> Hi, I'd like to ask some questions about the future of X.org and
> graphic feature set for KDE4.
> Please, don't find it as ANYTHING anywere near to flamewar. I'm just
> confused and I'd like to discuss the way KDE wants to go here.
>
> I saw Xgl, it seems to be a great piece of work (I'm not discussing if
> it's right choice as architectural decision). It works on today's
> software (like X.org 7.0 and KDE 3.5) which is great.
> I assume that AiGLX works very similar which is cool as well.
>
> I saw something called Luminocity, and it was also nice piece of work,
> and then I saw Zack's demo's of very similar features for KDE.
>
> I was very interested in EXA, but it seems that some code was added to
> X.org 7.0 and nothing happens now around it (I checked X.org wiki - no
> news there :( ).
>
> Now. As I understand, Xgl is going to be included in X.org server in
> the future. AiXGL is not, EXA already is there.
>
> I read that KDE people are not happy about Xgl/AiXGL because it does
> what DE should do, not X server.
>
> But KDE can't ignore the fact that Xgl exists and is usable (yes, I
> tested it on Gentoo and SuSe and Ubuntu and it works on 3 various
> machines. It's not mature, but it works surprisingly well), so I'm
> wondering if KDE4 will be using Xgl/Xegl features somehow, will KDE
> try to use AiXGL somehow?
> What's the plan about it? To stick to X.org 7.0 feature set and
> develop basing on Qt only? Will Qt integrate with Xgl/Xegl via KDE?
>
> I'm sorry if my questions sounds stupid, I don't know those
> technologies too much so possibly I'm messing many different levels,
> but my point of view is not a technical discussion about what should
> be where and which is better, but rather a question about what KDE4
> wants to use for graphic feature set and how much of it will be shared
> through X.org and freedesktop.org with other DE's.
Hi

There is no Xgl specific feature.
And from what I understood, Aiglx is going to be integrated into X.org, while
Xgl is a different X server and won't be integrated into X.org.
What you saw (wobbly windows, cube...) is done by compiz or glxcompmgr.
Nothing from Xgl. You can run Compiz on Xgl and aiglx (ok, theorically...
aiglx, compiz and xgl are still work in progress, but I believe there is a
screenshot of compiz on aiglx somewhere).
Why do you want the toolkit to use anything from Xgl/aiglx ? It's pointless !
They only implement, AFAIK, a pixmap_to_texture OpenGl call and some other
things, allowing OpenGL composite managers.
So KDE4 would only have to provide such a composite manager. KDE3 already
provide a composite manager, using XRender, which wasn't accelerated before
EXA...