[Panel-devel] Coherency issue

Zbigniew Braniecki zbigniew.braniecki at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 18:09:58 CEST 2006

2006/6/19, Alejandro Exojo <suy at kurly.org>:

> El Lunes, 19 de Junio de 2006 01:37, Zbigniew Braniecki escribió:
> > On OSNews there is a new article about KDE -
> > http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=14927 .

1. Explains what coherence is along 4 paragraphs, and after that, says two
> sentences saying that Kopete is not coherent, and that is very inferior to
> another application.

But he _doesn't_ say _anything_ about Kopete. IMHO, saying "this is bad"
> without explaining it, is trolling.

Well, I can try to explain it more, but I thought that we simply all know
that status, and the only thing that matters now is if we'll agree to keep
it or try to change it.

Do you really need more explanation on how using KDE makes me FEEL that I'm
using a set of apps that were bundled together just before the release
happened? That UI of K3B has NOTHING to do with UI of Amarok, and Kwrite,
and Kate, and Quanta, and KsCD, Juk or Ark?
Ark is a part of Desktop Environment yet it works like Winzip on Windows.
Like an external app boundled into KDE. And no matter how much power they'll
use it'll still be just an externall app that was one-sided integrated into
the DE. And Aaron stated that KDE is meta-project that will keep not
integrating such things from DE side, because they want to keep projects to
be external applications with own maintainers developers, goals, vision and
UI that can be installed with KDE or not.
And, if you'll read that thread I pointed out, the discussion is about
giving up pert of KDE - Tenor, in favor of some (once more) external app,
that will be later somehow bundled into KDE.

It seems for me like you'd try to prepare web CMS and claim that it's
meta-project created from many external projects like The Menu project, The
News List project, The Header project, while each project has it's own
vision, plans, UI, roadmap and goals. And in the new version, the meta-CMS
project came with brand new idea - let's start using some kind of HIG and
then all those components will look similar! Wonderful. But it will not help
because all those components will just behave differently.