[Panel-devel] Coherency issue

Sheldon Cumming sheldonc4 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 07:41:56 CEST 2006

> I'm not as smart as the author of that article,

This is the sentence that makes my blood boil. Zbigniew, (however you
pronounce your name)   you  are smarter than the author of the
article.

I've been reading OSNews (or something like it) since Eugenia was the
editor of BeNews (BeOS related news site).

Somewhere inbetween there they hired this Thom character who produces
technical news like CNN covers politics. It's sensational, outrageous
but entertaining anyways.

He talks about coherence in applications that have 10 million more
features than their Gnome/Windows/MacOS counterparts.

He talks about "kdesu" like it is truly an integral part of every
single KDE desktop. He's perplexed about what password to enter, yet
its the same damn password he used to login. How this guy doesn't fall
out of bed on his head, I don't know.

He then continues to complain about Adept, saying their is no way a
Windows user can figure it out. It's true, because a Windows user has
no equivalent. A Windows user simply will not be able to comprehend
installing an application with a simple search and two clicks.
Usually, a windows user has to download a binary from a companies
website (say winamp.com) figure out their marketing bullshit, then
install the application (after downloading it to some undetermined
location - if i had a dollar for every windows user that forgot where
they downloaded something to) with a blizzard of wizard steps asking
the same questions they were asked yesterday for WinSomeOtherApp.

Then he simultaneously criticizes the number of options KDE has while
saying it's missing his preferred customization. His complaints about
Lock Toolbar makes me think he hasn't used KDE for more than a day.

Then he complains about the letter K. The letter K doesn't make an
application name a bad name. iTunes and Winamp are probably two of the
most well known apps in existence (and the makers of both have made a
killing). Both are branded with platform prefixes. Now that doesn't
mean amarok is an especially good name - it only means that kwrite
isn't an especially bad name.

As far as I know, the OSNews editors own at least one Mac each and
have a thing for Gnome (See the Gnomefiles link on the left panel). I
see the article as an overall win because even though it was
incredibly nitpicky (complaining about kdesu is a nitpick) they only
managed to find 7 things to complain about.

So, Mr. Braniecki, don't sell yourself short, you're ten times more
capable than the author.  Thom basically complains for a living.

Cheers,

Sheldon