[Panel-devel] The ALI: do we really need or want it?

Rafael Fernández López info at maestroprogramador.com
Sun Jan 15 18:35:45 CET 2006

Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
> On Saturday 14 January 2006 19:53, Chris wrote:
>
>>Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
>>
>>>But I don't really see any reason why we should limit ourselves to only a
>>>portion of the files.
>>
>>If you think it would be possible to show an entire /home directory in a
>>single context menu that is easy to navigate I would love to see a
>>design.    However I have over 9000 music files alone and that would
>>require a lot of visual space on the desktop.  As well, with many
>>expanding menus, if you make one wrong move you could collapse two or
>>three layers.  I just think it would be difficult to design and/or hard
>>to navigate.
>

> It's merely a question of implementation and design. I have thousands of songs
> as well, and I don't really see any reason why they couldn't be navigated in
> C-menu just fine. I mean, I can navigate those songs in Amarok just fine, why
> couldn't I navigate them in C-menu as well?
>

>>>The Content-menu I proposed would not contain all files in the SYSTEM. It
>>>would contain the files in the users home-directory.
>>
>>What about root?  He needs access to those files?  And if you don't
>>include them in the C-menu then you /will/ need a file browser.  As well
>>sometimes users need access to these directories.
>

> Where exactly have I said that we should get rid of filemanager? Root-user is
> used to configure the system, and he could use filemanager for that task.
> filemanager is a tool to access files, the C-menu is not about accessing
> files, it's about accessing CONTENT. There is a clear difference between the
> two. Root's C-menu would contain the content in his home-directory, like it
> does with every users. For more advanced tasks, there's always the
> filemanager. But I honestly can't think of any reason why the user needs to
> have access to /etc for example, and why the user should have to rely on the
> filemanager. Filemanagers are about files. In the end, users don't want to
> use files, they want to use their CONTENT.
>
> Normal users don't really have any need to access root-menu. Their files are
> in their home-directories. Only reason he could want to access the root-menu
> is to access memorysticks and the like that are mounted somewhere in /. But
> those cases could be handled in such way that filemanager is not really
> needed.
>

>>Why dictate to the user where he can put his files and where he can not
>>put them?  Isn't it about user choice?  I really don't think we need a
>>system wide My Music or My Pictures.
>

> Where exactly am I "dictating" anything? I said that the user could have a
> directory for his media somewhere in root-menu. As in, he decided to create
> such a setup. I did NOT say that "we should have this kind of directory!", I
> meant that the user _could_ have set up his system so that there is one
> system-wide "My Music" and "My Pictures". If the user wants to have something
> like that, do you want to deny him that possibility?

> [...]

Well, I agree too much with Janne since your home directory is
/home/foo, and user "foo" DOESN'T WANT TO KNOW what /etc, /dev is.

When "foo" creates an OpenOffice document, "foo" will save it under
his/her home tree, and that's CONTENT.

Always that "foo" would want to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf for example
would need to run "su" or "sudo" and will access to administrative tasks.

For administrative tasks I agree, "root" should have something like
konqueror, but for accessing files, not content.

Maybe is right the supposition of making "foo"'s <world> her/his home
directory.

Bye,
Rafael Fernández López.