[Panel-devel] Pytray

Matt Broadstone mbroadst at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 21:49:11 CEST 2006

On 8/23/06, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 August 2006 11:00, Matt Broadstone wrote:
> > I'd imagine you could do it rather easily, if you check in svn there
> > is a jsapplet that Ian Geiser initially wrote and I tweaked to get
> > working with a later version of KJS, this would be the same idea as
> > what you're trying to do, but you'd need to get a python interpreter
> > working (not sure how PyQt/PyKDE handle this type of stuff) -
>
> someone once wrote such a thing for python, and this is the way to go (an
> applet that loads the script and shows its output) but then let it bitrot and
> it was never merged into kicker. sad. ...

Though I'm not sure we can say for sure that this is the way to go
(TM) because noone has ever written a binding for a extension, in
theory it would run somewhat leaner because you could run only one
interpreter to handle all objects, as opposed to interpreters for each
individual applet on the panel. I'd be interested to see if this runs
better that way (should Gavin want to write such a thing) for future
Plasma development. However, he's surely going to run into the problem
where he wants to bind a child panel and thats basically impossible
because its all in core.. but the single vs multiple interpreters
would still be very interesting..

Cheers