[Panel-devel] Status of Tenor/Nepomuk + websites +dates

Zbigniew Braniecki zbigniew.braniecki at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 03:56:30 CEST 2006

Hi all.

Can you tell me what is the status of search infrastructure for KDE4?

There was Tenor (http://appeal.kde.org/wiki/Tenor) first. Then Aaron
announced (http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2006/04/before-i-rush-out-door.html)
switch to Nepomuk (http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/xwiki/bin/Main1/).

Recently, I tried to refresh my mind and did some search on Nepomuk. damn.
Not much info.
What I could find is that Nepomuk is a social semantic desktop project with
17 mln euro budget, that it's going to be shared between future versions of
KDE and Gnome, and that it should be ready around year 2008.

It sounds interesting, but stating that the last info about it is from
February, there's nothing beside of markting speech on the website, wiki is
dead since Feb... it's really hard to say that it'll be a vital part of
KDE4. And since people already started or even finished migrating some of
their apps to KDE4, I'm wondering if there is any plan to help them add this
search infrastructure support for KDE4 or is it abandoned and will have to
wait till after-4.0 release to get integrated deeper into DE?

Related to this is the question of websites.
Appeal (http://appeal.kde.org) website seems to be dead (no changes in last
month), plasma wiki (http://plasma.kde.org/wiki/) has only one document
updated in last month, about KDE4 compilation.
Plasma page lost Roadmap, Appeal project still contains Tenor, original
Tenor code is still in the SVN (
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/base/tenor/), oxygen getting new
icons in the SVN but no updates on the website (http://www.oxygen-icons.org),
and no word about Coolness since I-don't-know-when (
http://appeal.kde.org/wiki/Coolness), I'm wondering if it isn't a high time
to update the KDE4 set of websites according to the current state of the
project.

Last question is related to the dates. I tried to find any info on the wiki,
dot.kde.org news, blogs etc., but since the very old news about first
approaches for KDE4, there was no info about KDE4 roadmap or timeline. After
removal of roadmap from plasma website, it's even harder to say what is the
current status, roadmap, timeline and ETA of KDE 4. The old news says about
Q1 2007, but it seems hardly possible if the planned feature set + amazing
goals regarding usability are about to be implemented.
Is there any way to prepare such summary? In the form of
dot.kde.orgarticle, or sth?

I know that we have commit digest, but it's more like "Kxyz was updated to
QT4" than "KDE4's Plasma is currently waiting for X and then it'll be
implemented. Current timeline for this is Q3 2006." etc.

Greetings
Zbigniew Braniecki