[Panel-devel] Introducing me

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Sep 17 22:04:05 CEST 2005

hi Eric!

On Friday 16 September 2005 18:25, Eric Jardim wrote:
> After that, I would be very curious to help with Plasma bindings for Python
> and make some "applets". I am not sure if, right now, there is something
> ready for me to play with. As long as I meet the Plasma/KDE4 project things
> will become clear.

november 1 is my target for having the bindings projects (among a couple of
other things) ready to start. it first requires, obviously, some plasma APIs
to be at least semi-settled in.

i expect the process to be somewhat iterative.

i'm particularly interested in a plasma API only set of bindings, which
shouldn't be a problem. what you could provide that would be of quite some
value to us in the meantime is input onto the binding plugin API and system

the idea is to have the language bindings individually loaded on demand when
required for a given applet, which in turn requires at least one base class
to use as the plugin loaded that would then allow us to feed scripts to an
interpreter, to an executor and also provide bindings.

i'm also very interested in the ability to thread as much of this as possible.
with JS we should be able to have all the parsing done in one thread, and
probably execute each script thereafter in their own thread. i'm still
working on how to do the painting (off-screen painting might work though; or
building SVG interfaces with Qt4.1; still working on the details)

with python, how realistic will it be to put parsing, execution, etc in their
own threads?

also, we need to make the language plugins API async in nature (even if it is
all done synchronously behind the scenes)...

anyways, input from those doing language bindings is more than welcome.