[Panel-devel] [RFC] Interaction model for "building" your shell

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 15 02:41:42 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 05:46, Barış Metin wrote:
> On Thursday 15 September 2005 01:24, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> 1. Create widgets on the main widget.
> 2. Select two/three of them with Shift+LMB
> 3. Select "Lay out horizantally".
> 4. Than choose "break layout" from the toolbar.

i'm hoping we can make it a bit more free form and just "drag and droppy" than
this.. we'll see =)

ever played with kwin's "magnetic borders"?

> Graphics programs or designer-like GUI builders already deal with this
> problem - placement/layout of multiple objects on the screen. We can just
> take a look at them and maybe just imitate ;).

a little less geeky than designer perhaps, but i like the direction ... have
you played with dashboard? it has that little ribbon at the bottom. rather
limited, but still more prior art to look at.

> > > 2) Having a special action "somewhere"(*) triggering the edit mode. In
> > > this case every windows are hidden, and only the desktop and its
> > > plasmoids are accessible until you switch back to the normal mode.
> >
> > yes, we just need to find a place for it. this is a job for the usability
> > people =)
>
> My first try would be "right click on the desktop and search for the
> keyword edit" :).

sounds about right.

> I really liked the idea of "plasmoid composition"

oooh. i like that!