[Panel-devel] [RFC] Interaction model for "building" your shell

Barış Metin baris at uludag.org.tr
Thu Sep 15 01:46:06 CEST 2005

On Thursday 15 September 2005 01:24, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > 1) We consider having a special handle as overlay on the plasmoids
> > connected edges. When clicked, the connection is broken, and the
> > plasmoids are slightly moved so that there's some room between them.
> > 2) We consider the first (as in read-order) to be the "master plasmoid"
> > if you move it, you move the whole group, otherwise you split the group
> > at the moved plasmoid. For example, if I have a row of four plasmoids, if
> > I move the one at the left it'll move the full group since I read from
> > the left to the right. If I move the third one (counting from the left),
> > it'll result in two rows of two plasmoids.
>
> i think this might be a little confusing unless we make the visuals really
> clear, but prefer this to the first option simply because it means
> everything happens on drag. this tends to be easier to work with, both for
> the user and the coder =)
>
> it really almost seems like we'll want to have an "edit mode". e17 does
> this IIRC.

I agree, using an "edit mode" makes it easier to manage the elements.

For the connection/disconnection part... That just reminded me about (Qt)
Designer. As and example of a regular session:

1. Create widgets on the main widget.
2. Select two/three of them with Shift+LMB
3. Select "Lay out horizantally".
4. Than choose "break layout" from the toolbar.

Can we fallow a similar approach for managing plasmoids on the screen? Maybe
by showing a tool bar at the top of the screen in edit mode. Or maybe using a
seperate application for managing desktop layout... Don't worry :). I didn't
like these two ideas neither but they can just give an opinion.

Graphics programs or designer-like GUI builders already deal with this problem
- placement/layout of multiple objects on the screen. We can just take a look
at them and maybe just imitate ;).

> > 2) Having a special action "somewhere"(*) triggering the edit mode. In
> > this case every windows are hidden, and only the desktop and its
> > plasmoids are accessible until you switch back to the normal mode.
>
> yes, we just need to find a place for it. this is a job for the usability
> people =)

My first try would be "right click on the desktop and search for the keyword
edit" :).

I really liked the idea of "plasmoid composition" (may I call it like
that) :).

--
Barış Metin