[Panel-devel] Panel-devel Digest, Vol 7, Issue 3

Jeremy DUBREIL jeremy.dubreil at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 10:29:30 CET 2005

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 17:10:10 +0100
> From: Riccardo Iaconelli <info at ruphy.com>
> Subject: Re: [Panel-devel] KMenu: Users and Usage
> To: panel-devel at kde.org
>
> Matthias Welwarsky Scrive:
>

> > Proposal: We know that a menu does not work for a large number of entries, so
> > we should try to avoid menu entries instead of trying to find the perfect way
> > to organize them.
> I think that we have to improve a tool like KAppFinder. For example the SuSE
> KMenu is very simple because of its organisation by categories. Else the
> vanilla Kmenu uses only "Other Applications". To improve it, I think that we
> have to use ALL the categories provided by KMenu and also create a strument
> that allows developers adding entries and sub-menus to the KMenu using a
> simple tree dir-files with link, or a XML file, or something else.
>
> Regards,
>  -Riccardo

Hi,

In the same idea the KMenu in Mandriva is really easy to use for
beginner comparing to Fedora Core for example. In Mandriva, apps are
also classified into categories like Office, Internet, System
Configuration but you can choose between different configurations. I
don't know if it is by default in KDE and if not it is a good Idea.
Roughtly, the idea is : if the menu is set to be for beginner and
Kaffeine is the default application for video,  then we will have
"Kmenu -> Multimedia -> Read a Video" and it will open Kaffeine. Or
one can also use Kat or other program to make easily a library of
video and the user choose between those one Without knowing which
program is doing what.

Regards, Jérémy