[Panel-devel] Superkaramba Icon

A. Wiedenbruch mail at wiedenbruch.de
Mon Jun 27 11:16:18 CEST 2005

Hi,

Am Montag 27 Juni 2005 08:03 schrieb Petri Damsten:
> On Saturday 25 June 2005 01:41, A. Wiedenbruch wrote:
> > We had a little discussion on IRC about how the user can show/hide the
> > icon. Hiding the icon is not a problem, one can do that with with a click
> > on the icon.
> > I think when a user wants to enable it again, s/he will click on the
> > theme and search for a menu entry first. But as Ryan said, it is not a
> > clean design, because a theme shouldn't have control over the icon.
> > His idea was to show the icon again when a user starts superkaramba a
> > second time.
> > Not sure about that at all, I implemented both, in hope that an expert
> > will tell the right way.
>
> This has been discussed before and I still can't see why kde's ability to
> hide systray icons is not enough. If this is for earlier versions of kde it
> should be only enabled there.

I think the only reason for kicker system tray hiding is saving space.
When hiding one icon, it doesn't save that much space, because of the arrow.
I also think that the arrow doesn't look that nice.
After theme configuration the superkaramba system tray icon is pretty useless.
So why still show it? Why have users configure the system tray when
superkaramba can hide the icon on its own?

The icon hiding has been a long time wish from users and I have to say that I
don't like the icon too. I don't know you, perhaps you have done geat things
for the community, but instead of saying: "I don't understand why people
wants the feature" you should say: "Ok, how can we satisfy our users"
The kwallet author didn't like the no-password-wallet-option, but he
implemeted it because user asked him to allow this possibility.

> Theme menu is only for theme specific stuff. 'Toggle system tray icon' and
> 'Quit superkaramba' should not be there.

I understand your wish for a clean design but I think the user doesn't care.
For the user it's just superkaramba. Please prove me that I'm wrong.
The problem is that there is no main window. In JuK or KMail you can switch
the system tray icon on and off within the app. The only interface to the
user is the system tray icon, but when its hidden...
One possibilty could be to show only the toogle and quit button if the icon is
hidden.
I also don't like to show the icon again when superkaramba is re-started.
It's not intuitiv, because you have this option normally in a config dialog in
a main window.

I don't force you to use my code. You can modify it as you like. I don't care
anymore.

> Petri

Ciao
Alex