[Panel-devel] KDE4

Matt Broadstone mbroadst at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 20:23:12 CEST 2005

On 6/21/05, Hans Oischinger <hans.oischinger at h3c.de> wrote:
> On Monday 20 June 2005 22:14, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > this is also where Zack will need to come in, to start us off on the right
> > foot for compositing and what not. Hans for task management concepts, such
> > as how do bring kompose into this, if at all? alternatives/additions to the
> > taskbar button interactions? Georges A. K. is going to have to start
> > thinking of the systray ... etc, etc, etc
> Maybe this is a little early but I would really like clear up some things
> about the use of GL and COMPOSITE. When do we want to use them, do we want
> software fallbacks... du we want to use gl at all?
>
> Take for example a funky opengl minimize effect. Do we want to always create a
> QGLWidget that would allow us to du the really nice looking stuff with curved
> surfaces, etc?
>
> For COMPOSITE we may also need to introduce a small api to allow widespread
> use and easy to use code... I'm not sure about that, maybe we can do without.

I was under the impression that composite support should be built into
the the core of kicker, replacing our current use of
pseudo-transparency, and that it would be something that we shouldn't
have to worry about more than saying: this panel is transparent or
not, and perhaps passing a level of opacity.

 Regarding the OpenGL stuff, I recall a thread posted a long time ago
by Ettrich, when asked if we should include any OpenGL stuff he simply
replied "No," as it would cut out too many potential users that might
not have support for it (though this is not an issue today) and it
works far too slow on older computers. I think this is something we
need to keep in mind (and is partially motivating my comments on the
use of bindings), we seem to have lost track of the fact that some
people just want a good looking fully functional, but FAST and
EFFICIENT panel. Maybe there should be optional OpenGL support in
certain modules (though I still like the idea of aiming for the lowest
end user), but it should SURELY not be built into the core of kicker.