[Panel-devel] KDE4

Matt Broadstone mbroadst at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 18:58:50 CEST 2005

I've been biting my lip on this for a week or so now, but I have
finally gotten to the point of asking about the purpose for bindings
in the future of this progress. It's almost as if people have
forgotten how slow Kicker used to be. All the most recent work done on
Kicker has basically been to it more efficient, faster. Why exactly do
we need to add support for these scripting languages to add
functionality to Kicker? What exactly can't be done in C++ that python
allows? or does it just allow more ideas that sort of work well? I
personally used to use gDesklets in gnome and I thought it was a
pretty bad, it used a whole lot of my memory up (which python ALWAYS
seems to do in intensive tasks). I know this probably seems like a
heavy hitting comment against SK, but I'm almost at the point where I
think SuperKaramba stuff should be used for mockup's, and the really
useful widgets should be fully brought in as C++ applets?

KDE is already so bloated, especially with it's own single language,
why do we need to add more languages? Why do we need to add more
bloat?