[Panel-devel] Kicker applets and modal dialogs

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 16 22:13:15 CEST 2005

On Thursday 16 June 2005 01:06, Fred Schaettgen wrote:
> I have noticed that several kicker applets use modal dialogs without
> setting the parent window in the constructor. The result is that these
> dialogs can get lost below other windows while they leave the whole panel
> unusable. Luckily it is just the about dialog in most (but not all) cases:

yep.. it's even covered in either the DESIGN or HACKING file that modal
dialogs are a no-no in kicker.

the first rule of plasma club is no modal dialogs.
the second rule of...

> colorpicker: about
> charselector: about
> klipper: config
> storage media: about, config
> fifteen pieces: about
> public file: LMB->new server...
> knewsticker: about
> moon phase: about
> media control: about
> trash: about
> sound mixer: about

this would make an awesome JJ job =)

> Oh, and how about getting rid of the "about" menu entries in general and
> adding a button for that in the add-applet-dialog?

hrm.. i think this would make the add applet dialog a bit busier, though a
nice "More >>" link that expanded the entry to show nicely formation
information would be cool. unfortunately, the About information is only
available once the applet is loaded. for plasma, we ought to make the about
data available separately for these kinds of purposes.

and yes, the modal dialogs must die die die