[Panel-devel] Patch for KickerTip

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jun 3 02:45:55 CEST 2005

On Thursday 02 June 2005 06:03, Martin Raum wrote:
> I've just finshed the changes in KickerTip and now it is able to update
> it's content. The behaviour without updates hasn't changed.

interesting. i haven't applied and tested the patch, just read the code. it
seems like quite a bit changes to achieve this, so kudos for putting in the
effort.

my only concern with this mechanism is that it doesn't allow the client to
change the tip on demand. it basically has to know in advance when it will
change. given the nature of the clock this is usually ok, except when the
user change the timezone (e.g. scroll wheels over it). this should cause
immediate changes in the KickerTip window.

hm. unfortunately you can't multiply inherit two QObject classes (double
deletion problems =) otherwise i'd suggest keeping these changes which seem
pretty good on read and just add a slot that the applet can connect a signal
to to cause the update.

on further thought, i'm not really sure there are ANY situations in which
changes are tied to timing.

the more i think on it, the more it becomes obvious that on-demand changes are
a base requirement. do you have any thoughts on this?