[Panel-devel] Quick comment on Marc Cramdal's ALI blog

Wade Olson wadejolson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 21:02:54 CEST 2005

1) Metadata: He mentions about hovering over an application and receiving
information about the application before launch (through Konqi/Clippy or
otherwise). I like this idea quite a bit. Last launch, 'About' information
(version, etc), and the same brief description that Kicker gives would be
quite useful. Especially to new Linux users that are staring down 45 email
client options (shame on you distros). For those minimalists, maybe an info
toggle might appease?

2) Application Launching in general: I'd to hear people's thoughts on
application bundles. People in different roles may consistently launch the
same group of applications. One example would be the group that you have
start automatically on boot-up. A developer may want KDevelop, a DB client,
Konqeror and a code profiler to launch together. So maybe letting a user
define a logical bundle of similar apps, and displaying those bundles for
launch (with corresponding bundle CRUD window) could be slick on the ALI.

Wade