[Panel-devel] SuperKaramba as Unique Application

A. Wiedenbruch mail at wiedenbruch.de
Sun Jul 17 22:27:40 CEST 2005

Hi,

Am Sonntag 17 Juli 2005 21:47 schrieb Petri Damsten:
> On Saturday 16 July 2005 23:20, A. Wiedenbruch wrote:
> > This is still possible with superkaramba --nofork.
>
> But if dcop calls are removed I think that themes started this way won't
> show in themes dialog as running themes. I must be missing something here
> because I don't see any benefit on running SuperKaramba as a
> KUniqueApplication?

Yes, you're right, to allow that the DCOP calls are still needed.

I think running SK as a unique app is cleaner than what it is done today.
Let's collect some issues I don't like about the current implementation:
- Try starting SK from command line without arguments - It just quits, no
another running SK this way.

- Try running it from command line with a theme as argument or with a .theme
or .skz - you will get another SK running the theme. Now the main SK will be
informed about the running themes. Not another icon in sys tray, what a user
would expect normally.

- When running 2+ SK, try working with the theme context menu, it will crash.
The new SK doesn't get the new settings, because they aren't written to HDD
yet.

- Look what can be cut down in main.cpp / karambaapp. It's easier to
understand and work with.

> > I also fixed a few little other bugs, and found some new I think.
>
> Could you post these as separate patch since I want to add only bug fixes
> to SVN at this point.

OK, I will make patches, when I haven't forgotten anything, the current issues
are:
- Insert themes form command line, .theme, .skz in the theme dialog, on
startup.

- Not saving all themes from theme dialog.

Other Bugs:
( - Starting second SK with CL, .theme, .skz )
- Crash when running 2+ SK and showing theme dialog from a 2+ SK context menu
- DCOP (Not sure about it, please check)

> Petri

Ciao
Alex