[Panel-devel] ATi- Plasma- support

Hans Oischinger hans.oischinger at h3c.de
Mon Aug 22 09:47:31 CEST 2005

On Monday 22 August 2005 08:19, Jessica Hall wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance, but what is actually wrong with binary drivers?
> Obviously open sourced drivers would be preferable, but the binary drivers
> I use with my graphics card are excellent. I certainly wouldn't refer to
> them as 'crippled'.  I get the same performance gaming under linux as I
> would under windows, and I'm pretty pleased with that.
I guess it's not  about performance but if ATI would support Composite
properly it would increase the number of computers where we can make use of
it by a huge amount.

Then again I'm very pleased to see that there is communication going on
between ATI and open source projects. It shows that they are committed and
the usual trolling about ATI driver releases that don't fullfill all
expectations might calm down a bit. So ATI could win reputation and we could
win good contacts to their devs.

> People who don't open source their software are not evil and don't need to
> be browbeaten. This attitude gets tiresome.
I couldn't prase it any better :)

Hans