[Panel-devel] ATi- Plasma- support

Jessica Hall jhall at kde.org
Mon Aug 22 08:19:54 CEST 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 00:31, danalien wrote:

> if ATI guy goes : No we won't fully F/OSS the drivers...
>
> you go : Then, thanks but no thanks - hade a nice chat. But the bottom line
> is, there are other gfx-cardmanufacturors out there that allready do
> support us with such things as F/OSS drivers, and by the looks from your
> comment  - we're going to spend our time supporting them for supporting us
> with F/OSS drivers.
>

> /* if ATI guy asks who - say name XGI and Via - and that both produce
> hardware that's more then adequate for what are going to do ... F/OSS
> drivers are more important for us in the long-line then
> Blazzing-speed-we-won't-ever-be-able-to-fully-utilize-with-"crippled"-binar
>y-only-drivers! */

Forgive my ignorance, but what is actually wrong with binary drivers?
Obviously open sourced drivers would be preferable, but the binary drivers I
use with my graphics card are excellent. I certainly wouldn't refer to them
as 'crippled'.  I get the same performance gaming under linux as I would
under windows, and I'm pretty pleased with that.

People who don't open source their software are not evil and don't need to be
browbeaten. This attitude gets tiresome.

Regards,
--
JH

KDE Frequently Asked Questions:
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdebase/faq/index.html

panic("esp_handle: current_SC == penguin within interrupt!");