[Panel-devel] Systray

Jeremy Farrance jfarrance at optusnet.com.au
Thu Aug 18 06:43:20 CEST 2005

Hi folks !

I'm "just a user" and you might have already discussed this, but what if when
the Systray becomes too full, say with more than five icons (user
configurable), it automatically truncates into an icon itself which the user
can simply click on and have the contents popup, slide up, materialize or
whatever ? Alerts could automatically popup from the Systray icon when one of
the items in the Systray wan'ts to alert you of something.

I think this is simple, easy for me as a user to understand and appreciate,
probably a bit old fashioned but it would solve the issue of having icons all
over the place and I'd like to bet you guys can make it very nice little
graphical 'featurette' with Plasma. :)

What do you think ?

PS: I guess this doesn't address how you deal with permanent monitoring/status
type icons you might wan't to see all the time (perhaps a Systray that simply
truncates itself, leaving icons you don't want truncated outside an icon that
indicates that there is "more"... you could have an "exclude" option for
items you don't want to dissappear into a truncated representation...

Of course a fully automated approach which recognizes different "inhabitants"
in the Systray and does what is appropriate sounds good (as long as its not
too arbitrary and the user can still exclude what he/she likes).

Just my two cents. ;)

Jeremy.