[Panel-devel] The Plasma Keyboard

Hans Oischinger hans.oischinger at h3c.de
Thu Aug 11 19:04:28 CEST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 10:09, Malcolm Dean wrote:
> Can you design PLASMA so that it is KEYBOARD-PRODUCTIVE, almost
> eliminating the need for a mouse (except for graphics applications)? Can
> you make this new interface so obvious and simple that, most of the
> time, the user's hands don't need to move from the Home Row of the
> keyboard? And can you therefore make PLASMA the most useful, fastest
> interface ever invented?
Definately a good point. It's also a reason why vi became so successfull among
unix hackers:
You never move your fingers away from the Home row and therefore won't have to
bend your fingers for some modifier keys.
I introduced vi-like key movement in Komposé for that reason.

I doubt that it's for plasma to make the whole desktop accessible thriought
the keyboard's homerow. A default keyboard setup will have to make use of
"easy to remember" shortcuts for less experienced users (in germany you don't
learn the 10-finger system at higer schools, so I guess most people just
don't know how they could make use of this). So it's really something for
experienced users.
Yet, I would like to see "homerow" keyboard navigation everywhere it makes
sense, e.g. task management. We should keep it in mind.

Greets,
	Hans