[Owncloud] Owncloud on Fedora/RHEL 6

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Sun Jan 12 20:32:29 UTC 2014

On 12.01.2014 01:54, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after following the discussion about SQLite I wondered whether you
> support also PostgreSQL (whcih I prefer over MySQL of any variety, and
> it is ... good) and I stumbled upon
> http://doc.owncloud.org/server/6.0/admin_manual/installation/installation_linux.html
> which says in the relevant part:
>
>     Fedora: Make sure SELinux is disabled or else the    installation
> process might fail.
>
> That isn’t a nice thing to say.
I have no idea how that made it to the docs, but probably there were
reasons at the time it was written. But I agree, that is not a solution.

> a) There is an officially provided Fedora/EPEL6 package, so there is no
> need to send people to OpenSUSE build system.
Where is that package, who maintains it and how long does it take until
it is updated after we released a new ownCloud version? It is a problem
for us if downstream falls behind with the versions provided for the
systems in question.

We use the build system that suits us best to provide packages to the
ownCloud users very fast, and currently that is the openSUSE Build
Service. If the packages are not behaving well, please help us fixing.

> b) I see in our selinux-policy package that there have been already made
> changes to the policy because of OwnCloud. I am certain that our SELinux
> maintainers would love to hear about troubles with OwnCloud and SELinux.
> They are usually really fast in fixing any possible problems.  Please,
> ask them to help you and do not switch off SELinux.

Fully agreed. The problem is probably that nobody had time and knowledge
enough to get that fixed. Can you help us and test and tell us what
needs to be done to make it work well with SELinux?

Thanks,

Klaas