[Owncloud] SQLite vs MariaDB/MySQL

Jakub Moscicki Jakub.Moscicki at cern.ch
Sat Jan 11 13:18:33 UTC 2014

Hello,

As a user I don't know the product strategy of Owncloud Inc. but technically it is completely clear that sqlite could only be useful for small single user installations (like on your NAS at home) or demos.

For anything bigger you should go for a real database, gradually scaling the setup (from db collocated with the web server, then dedicated db server finally dedicated db cluster). The DB schema shipped with owncloud is not optimized so you need to do that yourself (indices,partitions,…) according to your usage. If you can install mysql./mariadb easily on your system then I would actually recommend that you always do that rather than sqlite. This may be collocated with the web server if you have just on web server anyway… That's the minimal reasonable setup IMO.

Sorry I don't have benchmarks at hand but not sure if this real needs benchmarking ;-)

Regards,

kuba