[Owncloud] secure connection without ssl

semaphore45 at yahoo.com semaphore45 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 1 18:00:38 UTC 2014

Hello Timmee and the list,

this is definitely an ownCloud-related issue, as no other PHP-based complex framework experience any of the issues OC has. I tried to install OC on a rented hosting server (However I DO have access to a shared SSL), to no avail. It gives constant timeouts and error 500. Although such a setup on shared hosting is officially supported, in reality OC requires that you have root access to the server (or a VPS) in order to get it working, the opposite of what it says on its homepage. In other words, until OC matures, there's not much you can do to get it working, except subscribing to a much more expensive VPS or dedicated.

Pat