[Owncloud] secure connection without ssl

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Sat Feb 1 15:24:30 UTC 2014

On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 08:46:50 +0100
Szládovics Péter <peti at szladovics.hu> wrote:
> Be careful with SNI, guys!
> Some browsers aren't support it!
> Check the wikipedia pages.

Let's be quite specific about this. The systems that will fail:

* Android 2.2 or earlier (My wife's phone is 2.2, my phone is
  4.something).
* Internet Explorer 6 or earlier, or IE on Windows XP.
* Mozilla Firefox < 2.0 (Firefox these days automatically updates, mine
  is 26.0)
* Opera versions less than 8 (2005)
* Older versions of Google Chrome.

Firefox, Chrome, Opera all pester you regularly to upgrade to the
latest versions, and most users do. Basically, the only one of those
someone running OwnCloud is likely to encounter is Android 2.2.

And the only other one that you're likely to encounter on the open web
is the Windows XP or IE6, usually coming from some extremely broken
dysfunctional corporate environments. Which isn't a likely OwnCloud
user.

So go ahead and use SNI. Getting people off XP and onto Linux, and
getting people away from IE, is a public good.

Dan