[Owncloud] invalid character ":" - historical artefact?

Stefan Vollmar vollmar at nf.mpg.de
Fri Sep 27 08:01:50 UTC 2013

Hello,

one of our scientists tried to sync files with a colon in the filename. This failed with an "Invalid characters" comment in the sync log. I know that colons were a no-no in file paths on Mac operating systems before MacOS X as the colon was used as a path separator. However, as far as I know, this is history and the colon (much as a bunch of other "special" characters including "!", "&", "?" or, in particular " " which I would not use in my own work) traditionally makes life unnecessarily difficult when scripting on Unix - but it is technically possible to use on all modern file systems (though, again, probably not advisable). But maybe there is a technical reason to forbid colons in file names that I am not aware of?

Warm regards,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.