[Owncloud] howto exclude translation, order of entries in localisation menu

Stefan Vollmar vollmar at nf.mpg.de
Fri Sep 6 07:38:04 UTC 2013

Dear Thomas,
dear Christian,

On 06.09.2013, at 07:29, Thomas Müller wrote:

> Von: Christian Reiner <foss at christian-reiner.info>
> An: owncloud at kde.org
> Betreff: Re: [Owncloud] howto exclude translation, order of entries in localisation menu
>

> Hello Stefan, hello all,
>
> On Thursday 05 September 2013 09:17:19 Stefan Vollmar wrote:
> > it is desirable (for many reasons) to have localisations of user interfaces
> > for as many languages as possible. However, OwnCloud ships with two German
> > versions, one of them quite informal. As our installation is for "official"
> > purposes only, the more formal version is the right choice. We already had
> > a case where somebody (unintentionally) selected the informal setting, then
> > shared a file by link - this could be potentially awkward: you do not see
> > the mail template which is sent to the recipient (and it is not suitable
> > for our purposes).
>
> actually in my eyes this shows up a more general problem. Your approach to
> solve your issue at hand by disabling a certain localization is the wrong one
> and steps short in my eyes:

> The templates chosen for outgoing messages should not depend on the session
> language chosen by the user at all! Those are two completely separate things!

I agree - the outgoing messages should not depend on the session language and this a feature definitely needed for larger installations in an international environment.

However, I still feel the need to exclude the informal German translation from our installation - while this is indeed a nice option in certain settings (you should keep it in OwnCloud), it is not appropriate in an "enterprise context". As long as cleanly deleting/choosing translation versions is simple, I do not mind at all doing it manually.

Warm regards,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.