[Owncloud] External Storage (NFS mount) not available -> owncloud crashes

Jörn Friedrich Dreyer jfd at owncloud.com
Tue Oct 29 08:52:42 UTC 2013

There are several things you can try. Out of my head I remember two relevant mount options:
- stale, which should handle an offline fileserver more graceful. That might however not solve the problem of owncloud locking up when trying to access the file, because we internally cache all the metadata and then of course expect the files the be available.
- fsc, which makes nfs mount use FSCACHE when the cachefilesd is running and configured. I don't know if that is available on the pi.

In general oc makes the assumption that file modifications are made exclusively via webdav or the web frontend. If I understand correctly you are using a replicated mysql setup on the two machines an then use nfs to export the files from the fileserver to the pi. That should work, assuming you mount the NFS share as the data dir and point the logfile to another directory on the pi.

I do not understand what you mean by external starage mounted as local because those terms are used in several places and I might likely misinterpret what you are saying.

Have you set up cachefilesd?
What mount options do you use?
Where do you mount the nfs share in relation to the owncloud data dir on the pi?
Do you use the files_external app?

So long

Jörn