[Owncloud] LDAP users and LDAP-authenticated SMB storage

Pierre Malard plm at teledetection.fr
Thu May 23 20:20:01 UTC 2013

Ola,

1) You can't display more than 40 users
I have open a bug abour that about our old LDAP server (cf https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/2545 "OC 5: Can't display more than 30 users on administrative OC widows").We don't have an AD server, just a LDAP one. It is still open.

2) The Login Name for LDAP users
The "Login Name" is always an UUID number. If you want that "Display Name" should be other (email, login, …) you must specify it on "LDAP configuration / Advanced tab / Directory Settings / User Display Name Field". If you want a specific Home Directory Name, go to "LDAP configuration / Advanced tab / Special Attributes / User Home Folder Naming Rule".

3) LDAPS doesn't work
I have the same problem. I have also a self-signed certificate and it doesn't work. And when I'm reading "If connection only works with this option, import the LDAP server's SSL certifucate in your ownCloud server." for help to "Turn off SSL certificate validation", I don't understand what it mean! Were can I store this certificate? How configure ownCloud to read it?

Cheers

Le 23 mai 2013 à 13:10, Vieri <rentorbuy at yahoo.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to owncloud and just trying it out.
>
> I've enabled user LDAP authentication. The LDAP server is Active Directory.
>
> My ownCloud LDAP web config contains:
>
> LDAP BASIC:
> 	host: domain.org
> 	base dn: cn=users,dc=domain,dc=org
> 	User Login Filter: sAMAccountName=%uid
> 	User List Filter: objectClass=person
> ADVANCED:
> 	DIRECTORY SETTINGS:
> 		User Display Name Field: displayname
> 		Base User Tree: cn=users,dc=hospitalmanacor,dc=org
>
> When I go to "USERS" I can see a listing of all AD users within OwnCloud.
> However, I can't do the following:
>
> - I can only list the first 40 or so users but there's no way I can list more (I have around a 1000 entries in AD). Is there a "next page" button I'm unable to find? Is there a search field I can use to search for a particular user within LDAP (tried the search field in the top-right corner but didn't work)
> - When listing all users, the second column ("Display Name") correctly displays the displayName attribute. However, the first column ("Login Name") shows a long ID string such as "0B0F75C7-FCE9-458A-8D58-B8E9CB3F71A7" when it really should be displaying the user login name (eg. value of sAMAccountName).
>
> In any case, AD user authentication works when trying to login from the OwnCloud login page.
>
> Also, LDAP works fine but LDAPS doesn't. I have a self-signed AD server certificate and it's listening on the standard 636 port. I tried host: ldaps://domain.org with and without "Advanced/Use TLS" but it gave me a "connection OK but Bind failure" even if I "Turn off SSL certificate validation". Any ideas?
>
> Finally, I'd like each AD user to mount an external directory via SMB/CIFS.
> From the server command line where ownCloud is installed, I know I can run something like:
> smbclient //inf-bl05/usuaris -U username
> and it works fine.
> However, if I go to "Personal" within the user's owncloud web UI and set:
> "External Storage" -> SMB/CIFS -> Configuration: \\smbserver -> username -> userpassword -> smbsharename -> /username
> the user is unable to access the SMB share when clicking on ownCloud's "Files" icon.
>
> What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this?
>
> Also, can the ownCloud Admin setup a default SMB external storage for EVERY AD/LDAP user that logs into ownCloud but would require the user's credentials?
> For example, suppose \\smbserver\users is a share that contains several user home directories. Obviously there's a subdir for each user within this share with adequate permissions.
> I'd like ownCloud Admin to define the external storage  \\smbserver\users for everyone but each user will then have to login with his/her credentials in order to access their private folders within.
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vieri

----
Pierre Malard

    «- Il n'y a que trois éléments indispensables à la vie.
        Et il n'y a que les scientifiques pour penser que
        c'est l'oxygène, l'hydrogène et le carbone...
      - Quoi alors ? L'eau, l'air et le feu ?
      - Non ! Le désir, le désordre et le danger...»
              Manon Briand ; La turbulence des fluides
                                      (film québécois de 2001)

- --> Ce message n’engage que son auteur <--