[Owncloud] Database - Concept/Questions

Andre van Eyssen andre at purplecow.org
Thu May 23 15:36:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, 23 May 2013, Andrzej Kwiatkowski wrote:

> 1. Upgrading database - using MDB2 and upgrading in this way generating a lot
> of problems if you use one database with another application (for example we
> would like to use one db with users (but another users backend than this in
> OC)  database to setup foreign keys).

If you're using anything as a central authentication platform, LDAP is the
way to go. LDAP is flexible and standards based and is ultimately the
correct way to handle multiple applications with identical authentication.

LDAP isn't perfect, but with a well designed implementation, it's pretty
easy to authenticate files, calendar, mail, contacts, applications and the
like against LDAP.

> 2. If i put new version in very busy installation there is no guaranty that
> admin will see upgrade page, not the normal user. Maybe some other mechanism
> for upgrading ? or some upgrading link maybe.

Administrators subscribe a -announce mailing list; get announcements as to
when they need to look at upgrades. Ultimately, there is a degree of
responsibility for software currency that has to land on the
administrator's workload.

--
Andre van Eyssen.
mail: andre at purplecow.org          jabber: andre at interact.purplecow.org