[Owncloud] 4 Apps imported into ownClouds github repositories

Christian Reiner foss at christian-reiner.info
Tue Mar 26 18:27:21 UTC 2013

Hi Klaas,
wow, that is great, thanks!

>>> On Monday 25 March 2013 09:09:56 Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
>>> Heya, nice! Some weeks ago you mentioned you don't have time to maintain
>>> them anymore, so I suppose this changed now?

>> Unfortunately that has not really changed.
>> Actually the import into the ownCloud repos is an attempt of a handover.

> On Tuesday 26 March 2013 12:52:35 Klaas Freitag wrote:
> I would volunteer to maintain one or two of them, if thats doable for a
> ownCloud php newbie. Which ones should I take?

Sure. All is possible. The apps are the work of a web newbie anyway, so a
decent programmer should not have problems to take a look around.

Which apps?
- "FluXX Compensator (Y)" just works as I see it, so nothing to do really.
I started that stuff as an experiment to find out how far conditionals can be
mapped into css definitions. That looked like fun with the chaotic page layout
in apps in OC4 and OC45. This changed in OC5, which is why the app just works
and all the modes and stuff are not really required any more :-)
- "Imprint" has just one single issue. But that issue is nothing that can be
solved in the app itself, it is just the symptom of a design decision in the
OC core. That issue is documented, but maybe not a good starting point for
someone taking first looks around in php.
- "Shorty" and "Shorty Tracking" should be maintained together, I think. One
big issue waits: the reimplementation of the internal plugin interface, but
that affects both apps and more plugins that might popup with the time. Also a
real integration with the rest of ownCloud (Share API) really waits to be
done, many users request that. All in all some real work, especially since
Shorty is not exactly a trivial app...
So I'd say: those twins are a great opportunity for someone who really wants
to jump in and learn. And who is willing to invest time.

Your choice ;-)

> Christian, maybe we can spend an hour somewhen and you tell me a bit...

Sure, either online or at some conference.
Any meeting or conference ahead?

> That of course should not make it easier for you to leave, but rather
> give you more time to do other exciting stuff _within_ ownCloud :-)
> Maybe you want a bit of C++ ;-) ?

Yes and no.
The motivation why I want to stop maintaining the apps in a one man show is
that I have to take care of other things too. For example it gets time for me
to look for some way to earn some money again. Not at all urgent, but my
sabbatical has been two years now :-)
On the other hand I am currently working on a prototype in python on something
that is meant to be coded in c++/Qt in the end. So practice is always good ;-)

--
Christian Reiner (arkascha)