[Owncloud] some notes about GSoC

Raghu Nayyar me at iraghu.com
Fri Mar 22 14:45:46 UTC 2013

Hi Alessandro,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Alessandro Cosentino <cosenal at gmail.com>wrote:

> We have four potential ownCloud projects, each with mentor and
> backup-mentor.
> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GSOC_ideas#ownCloud
>
> This is great and makes me hope that maybe next year we can actually
> apply as independent organization.
> Please have a look at the idea lists and comment things you don't like.
>
> There seems to be some confusion on how the process of GSoC works from
> now on, so I will point out some important steps:
>
> * During this week, each organization (in our case openSUSE) will send
> a general proposal to Google based on the ideas list.
> * Based on this application, Google will accept/reject the
> organization and, in case of acceptance, will assign a *limited*
> number of spots to each organization.
>
> OpenSUSE will probably get funding for ~12 students (based on
> statistics from previous years).
>
> This is to say that most likely not all four projects will go through,
> so at some point we will have to decide which student deserves it the
> most and which projects are actually important for ownCloud. The
> decision on which student proposal to accept will be taken by all
> mentors in openSUSE and not just by ownCloud people, so we will also
> have to convince openSUSE people that our projects are important for
> them as well.
>
> One more thing: the first step to become an independent organization
> is to create a permanent page where we put GSoC ideas and Junior Jobs
> all-year around. Where is the best place to do that? Should I use the
> wiki page on github? If yes, of which repo? Who has r+w access to it?

Why don't we use the main website, ownCloud.org/dev/junior-jobs or
something of that sort to display Junior Jobs or/and App Spec from GitHub,
if that is possible.

I guess there is still a week's time to register as an organization. I am
not sure how it works, but can't we do that this year itself?

> Alessandro

Sincerely,
Raghu