[Owncloud] some notes about GSoC

Alessandro Cosentino cosenal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 14:15:23 UTC 2013

We have four potential ownCloud projects, each with mentor and backup-mentor.
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GSOC_ideas#ownCloud

This is great and makes me hope that maybe next year we can actually
apply as independent organization.
Please have a look at the idea lists and comment things you don't like.

There seems to be some confusion on how the process of GSoC works from
now on, so I will point out some important steps:

* During this week, each organization (in our case openSUSE) will send
a general proposal to Google based on the ideas list.
* Based on this application, Google will accept/reject the
organization and, in case of acceptance, will assign a *limited*
number of spots to each organization.

OpenSUSE will probably get funding for ~12 students (based on
statistics from previous years).

This is to say that most likely not all four projects will go through,
so at some point we will have to decide which student deserves it the
most and which projects are actually important for ownCloud. The
decision on which student proposal to accept will be taken by all
mentors in openSUSE and not just by ownCloud people, so we will also
have to convince openSUSE people that our projects are important for
them as well.

One more thing: the first step to become an independent organization
is to create a permanent page where we put GSoC ideas and Junior Jobs
all-year around. Where is the best place to do that? Should I use the
wiki page on github? If yes, of which repo? Who has r+w access to it?

Alessandro