[Owncloud] Using github WAS: [Re: Discussions on the ML (was: Upgraded to Owncloud 5…)]

Mark Symonds mark at syminet.com
Thu Mar 21 19:43:26 UTC 2013

On Mar 21, 2013, at 5:42 AM, Bernhard Posselt <nukeawhale at gmail.com> wrote:

> The thing youre describing is actually not a problem, we ask people to provide logs etc on github and if we dont have enough information or cant reproduce it over a longer period we close the issue anyways. Asking for bugs on the mailing lists kinda spams my inbox and keeps me from fixing problems.

Could be wrong but some users might think github is confusing or hard
to use - any users thinking this, it is not true.  You do not need to know git
at all to use github for bugreports, you can use the website much like a
forum site.  This is how I'm doing it for now:

* Get an account (same as any other user registration out there on the web)

* You can search "owncloud" from the http://github.com homepage and core is the
first hit.  Or the owncloud gitpage is here:  https://github.com/owncloud

Say you think you found a bug in the "media" app.  From https://github.com/owncloud
you click "apps" link, then "Issues" link is on upper right menu.

Click "Issues" to get a Search box just under your mouse.  Type "media" in there and
browse existing bugs to see if someone else already reported it.  This is much like
a forum interface now and each bug is a topic.  If you find your same bug click it
and add to the discussion.

Another way to accomplish the same thing is to scroll down the left menu and
click  the link "app:media".

If your bug is not there, you can click the "New Issue" button next to the search box.

Yes it is that simple.

Hopefully for any users who haven't tried out github yet, the above will get you
started on how easy it is to post/discuss bugs there.

Best -

--
Mark