[Owncloud] Owncloud 5 operating system problems not documented

Vince D. Kimball vince at vkimball.com
Thu Mar 21 00:28:00 UTC 2013

We've known for a week that Owncloud 5 has a PHP incompatibility with
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and reportedly with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as well.  This is
not documented anywhere?

Apart from the conflict file issues and extra resyncs that seem to be
required with each upgrade that are not acknowledged anywhere, this seems
to be totally ridiculous.

I don't understand how Owncloud 5 could be released as a package that just
doesn't work with a supposedly supported operating system as normally
configured.  There are PPAs that can be used to make Owncloud work with
Ubuntu and fix the PHP issue, but nothing is officially documented.  Is
Ubuntu a supported operating system for Owncloud 5 server or not?

I'm at a loss as to how I can recommend Owncloud to clients.  Every
upgrade seems to require at least a day's worth of work to make usable.