[Owncloud] Apps-Review Process

Georg Ehrke oc.list at georgehrke.com
Thu Mar 14 17:26:48 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I would like to start a discussion about our apps review process.
There already is a review process for apps on apps.ownCloud.com, but imho it's not working as it's supposed to be.
There are no discussions about new / updated apps and it's just not working out.

My proposal:
We have to make it easier for reviewers to review apps.
We should create an apps.ownCloud.com repo on GitHub.

My approach for a new workflow:
If one submits a new / updated app, it will be pushed to this repository.
This will enable reviewers to simply take a look at the diff of an updated app and discuss changes directly on GitHub.
Reviewers will be able to give :+1: or :-1: to show if they would like to approve or refuse the update.
We will also be able to run unit tests and automated penetration testing.

Update apps guidelines:
- only one bug fix / feature update may be submitted a day
	- I really appreciate the afford developers put in their apps, but all reviewers are volunteers, who don't have time to approve the same app five times a day
	- this rule doesn't apply if the update contains security fixes.

I am not sure, if we should add these rules as well. Feedback please.

- the app must use the ownCloud Public API
- it may not come without unit tests

Other minor changes to apps.ownCloud.com:
If an app was not approved yet, one should be able to download the old version(, except there is a known security issue).

Cheers
Georg Ehrke