[Owncloud] Owncloud 5 and Antivirus App

Christian Hügel christian.huegel at stonebyte.de
Thu Mar 14 10:07:13 UTC 2013

Am 14-03-2013 10:53, schrieb Bernhard Posselt:
> On 03/14/2013 10:20 AM, Christian Hügel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> first of all thank you for this awesome release. We all appreciate
>> the hard work you put into it.
>> After upgrading i tried the new Antivirus app but for a strange
>> reason I cannot activate it. Here´s the log:
>>
>> {"app":"core","message":"App can't be installed because it is not
>> compatible with this version of ownCloud","level":3,"time":1363252606}
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Chris

> Its not compatible with ownCloud 5, please contact the maintainer of
> the app.

Yes, it though this might be but this is now a 3rdparty app, or am I
wrong?. It´s confusing because in the official press release
(https://owncloud.com/blog/latest-owncloud-community-edition-brings-greater-usability-performance-and-integration-to-file-sync-and-share)
it´s about a working antivirus solution?!

> My personal opinion on this is:
> ---------------------------------------
> I wouldnt add a virus scanner on top of owncloud. Virusscanners slow
> down your server and are generally snake oil security software. A
> virusscanner can never detect all viruses (there are billions of them
> and they often change their signature) and people rely on it and open
> every file without thinking twice. It may also be an additional attack
> vector, since the parser engine is complex.
>
> If you care about security, give your people a secure operating
> system like any Linux distribution and disable their root/sudo rights.
> I know this might not be feasible in every environment but maybe its
> possible ;)

You´re right but in the real world this is (for now) not possible.