[Owncloud] Owncloud 5 and Antivirus App

Bernhard Posselt nukeawhale at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 09:53:13 UTC 2013

On 03/14/2013 10:20 AM, Christian Hügel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all thank you for this awesome release. We all appreciate the
> hard work you put into it.
> After upgrading i tried the new Antivirus app but for a strange reason
> I cannot activate it. Here´s the log:
>
> {"app":"core","message":"App can't be installed because it is not
> compatible with this version of ownCloud","level":3,"time":1363252606}
>
> Thank you.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
Its not compatible with ownCloud 5, please contact the maintainer of the
app.

My personal opinion on this is:
I wouldnt add a virus scanner on top of owncloud. Virusscanners slow
down your server and are generally snake oil security software. A
virusscanner can never detect all viruses (there are billions of them
and they often change their signature) and people rely on it and open
every file without thinking twice. It may also be an additional attack
vector, since the parser engine is complex.

If you care about security, give your people a secure operating system
like any Linux distribution and disable their root/sudo rights. I know
this might not be feasible in every environment but maybe its possible ;)