[Owncloud] OwnCloud File Permissions Help/Issue

Adam Boutcher adam.boutcher at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 11:41:03 UTC 2013

Hi,

I would like to firstly say thanks to Bjoern who replied to my initial
email very quickly and suggested that I emailed the mailing list. I'm not
done many mailing list emails so here goes.

My main query is about how OwnCloud resets it's file permissions after I
have altered them.

I am trying to use OwnCloud as my personal dropbox style system and also a
simple web uploader which for the most part is working apart from the
permissions required to actually view my web files. I have the same issue
with the web interface as with the windows client so I'm assuming it's
something backend ralated.

I have the file structure like so

Adam/clientsync/Public
Adam/clientsync/Private

I want the public section to be accessible via apache and to display/run my
HTML and PHP as though they are uploaded via FTP but this is not happening.
My (shared) hosting requires the permissions rwx---r-x (705) to actually
execute PHP and read the public files when I recursively change my data
directory permissions that contains my user account then it will display
but as soon as I interact with OwnCloud via the web or clients then its
reset to rwxrwx--- (770).

I am a web developer and would consider myself fluent in PHP but never
worked on such a large app and I'm not great at OOP so I'm struggling to
find the areas I need to edit to stop the permission resets. So I'm either
looking for direct instructions or at the least a pointer to where/how.

I am aware that these changes may make my OwnCloud data more insecure but
this is my choice and as long as I can manually secure the private areas
with the correct permissions then there shouldn't be too much of a worry.

Regards

--
*Adam Boutcher
Email:** adam.boutcher at gmail.com*