[Owncloud] webdav fixes

Evert Pot evert at rooftopsolutions.nl
Sat Jan 5 00:27:40 UTC 2013

On Jan 5, 2013, at 1:01 AM, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:

> On 04/01/2013 23:44, Evert Pot wrote:
>> On 5 jan. 2013, at 00:23, Trey Nolen <tnolen at internetpro.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I looked at changing the SabreDav manually to 1.8, but the changelog
>>> indicated that a lot of backward compatibility had been broken, so I
>>> didn't make the change thinking it may break more than it fixes.
>> Very little in relation to plain file serving has changed in recent sabredav versions. So whatever problems 1.6.4 may have, 1.8 will likely as well.
>>
>> So if there's issues, I'd recommend digging deeper and try to isolate and debug problematic requests.
>>

> Understood - although that's also one of those catch 22s on a fast moving project: If some fixes are found, then the usual request is to submit a fix against a recent version...
>
> 1.8 has some interesting changed with respect to caldav and osx that I'm interested in.  Hoping that you might be the person to petition for an update..?!

I'm actually not an owncloud dev; I'm the sabredav maintainer... If any issues surface though, I'm happy to apply any fixes to 1.6.x; It should be pretty much painless to update to a new version in the 1.6 range.

> My limited debugging so far has been quite painstaking - is there a switch to get decent level debugging out of sabredav?

Charles HTTP proxy, or mitmproxy is the debugging tool of choice. I've considered more advanced logging, but in reality I realized it's never quite as powerful as a debugging proxy. Therefore it would only really benefit the people who are capable of dealing with debugging logs, but unable to setup a debugging proxy. This is quite a narrow group.

I'm quite busy with a lot of stuff, but I'd be happy to aid debugging a bit. The only proper starting point is a ticket though. Is there a relevant one open?

Evert