[Owncloud] Are display names unique? and related questions

Andreas Ergenzinger andreas.ergenzinger at uni-konstanz.de
Mon Feb 18 15:24:58 UTC 2013

Hello,

Since user selection for sharing and most other activities is supposed
to be based on the display name from now on, the answer to my question
should obviously be "yes". However, after looking at the OC_User class
as well as the associated user backend and interface classes, I am not
sure that this uniqueness is enforced anywhere.

Am I missing something, or do we need a displayNameExists($displayName)
function in the user interface?

I am also not sure about the future role of the getUsers($search = '',
$limit = null, $offset = null) method, apart from providing a list of
all users if no search parameter is specified. It seems to me that the
function is completely replaced by getDisplayNames($search = '', $limit
= null, $offset = null) in all other cases. Besides backward
compatibility, is there another reason for needing approximate search of
uids/login names?

Andreas