[Owncloud] Any application there (apart from Media) using the user's password ?

Antoine Diamant-Berger thesfreader at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 12:52:33 UTC 2013

Frank:
> We could add a warning if a user clicks on installing a 3rd party app.
> Something like "Warning. This app might do ... Do you really want to do
> that?"
>
> The problem is that this would give us a better feeling but the users
> will click Yes anyways. So I'm not sure this is helpful.

Yes, with the small distinction that the users who have access to apps
installation are (or should be) administrators, who could have
overlooked the potential trouble, but may take such a warning much
more seriously than your "random user".

"With great power, come great responsibility" : ease of installation
of 3rd party apps (which is another great feature of OwnCloud !),
shouldn't mask the true reality of what happens : a 3rd Party app
software, not necessarily ckecked for security, is installed on a
widely accessible server ! A warning seems in order there.

With the current architecture, I don't feel in any way like I can tell
to anybody : "I've created an app, you can get it (like a hundred
others) on the apps.oc.com store."
I would feel like sending them straight to a Trojan Horse's home ground !

Thomas:
> We are in feature freeze phase and any new ideas will anyhow not be included in OC5.
OK, great. Should I in the meantime open it as a bug ?
Or will it be re-qualified as a feature ?
Any planning on the next release timing ?

I understand now isn't the best time to raise the issue. Should I have
waited post-release ?
If so, let's all let it rest, and count me in for raising it after the release.

Cheers,
(and even if it may not be evident from the tone of my answers, Thanks
for the great SW!)
TheSFReader/Antoine