[Owncloud] License

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Dec 20 13:38:20 UTC 2013

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 19:19:28 Tim Atkins wrote:
> And what about a PHP software (out of the box) that use the owncloud's REST
> APIs ?
>
> You tell about mobile apps, desktop apps interacting with ownCloud via REST
> APIs ... you can have a webpage/software in other server, interacting via
> REST API's with a ownCloud installation in other server.
>
> Does that PHP source code (and the HTML views generated for User Experience)
> need to have the AGPL license ?
>
> I'm not trying to not credit ownCloud (it has to!), but avoiding to need to
> give AGPL license to our main software, that would use ownCloud cloud
> features for files, but nothing else more.

Common understanding of Free software licensing is that you don't have to make
your app AGPL.

Here's why you should talk to a lawyer nevertheless:

- interpretation of this licensing situation changes per jurisdiction
- your description may be incomplete to judge the situation
- I am not a lawyer

Cheers,
--
sebas