[Owncloud] Integrating OwnCloud with /home folders

Otto Kekäläinen otto at seravo.fi
Mon Dec 2 18:18:46 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have a Linux server with 35 users, each who have their files in
/home/domain/username/data/*.

How can I configure OwnCloud so that each user who logs into OwnCloud
would be able to see the files in their home directory?

At the moment the files of each user are in
/var/www/owncloud/username/files. I cannot simply point this files as
a symlink to the home directory, as the OwnCloud PHP process is run as
user www-data.

Is there some way to re-use the user log in credentials to auto-mount
the user home directory via sftp or something at login time?

What is the recommended way to integrate OwnCloud with existing user
home directories (and user file permissions for those files)?

I cannot ask the users to enter any settings themselves, most of them
are just too non-technical. The solution must be centrally configured
and work automatically for all users.

On the page http://doc.owncloud.org/server/5.0/admi ... onfig.html I
can see there is a variable $user. Maybe I can use it and configure
that so each user gets automatically their home directory mounted via
SFTP. However for SFTP also password is needed. Does something like
$password exist?

Or if no $password exists, does any of the mountable services
(sftp/ftp/smb/webdav etc) support some kind of magic passwordless
logins so that I can configure mounts without user password?

Or should I maybe move all user files under /var/www/owncloud/data/
and then do something special to the /home/ folders so that they get
mounted via WebDAV etc from OwnCloud, so that normal user home
directories continue to work?