[Owncloud] Feature requests: expire date and comment field

Stefan Vollmar vollmar at nf.mpg.de
Fri Aug 30 10:47:07 UTC 2013

Hello,

(1) we are in the process of integrating our OwnCloud installation into a database system used by our local administrators. As we can now remotely and automatically create accounts ("SOLVED: one-time password support/account generation by script?"), we noticed that it would be useful to have an optional "expire" mechanism for user accounts. We can remotely disable accounts from our management system, however, users should get a proper error message as, quite often, at our institute this happens: we set up "expire" functionality for accounts and the account expires (we keep the data, so this is simply annoying) because the head of a department here forgot to (formally) extend somebody's contract, etc. In these cases it would be helpful to get an error message of kind "Account expired" instead of something that looks like a technical problem. So OwnCloud should have an optional "expire" mechanism, or at least a flag we can set that triggers a suitable error message when users try to log in.

(2) OwnCloud is very attractive for a research institute as it very neatly solves the problem of exchanging data with "external" scientists, i.e. researchers that belong to another university/lab/institute participating in a collaboration project. As these are external users, it would be nice to have an optional comment field (in the oc_users table?)  where we could store information on that users (research context, who at our institute is responsible).

What do you think?

Best regards,
 Stefan
--