[Owncloud] Questions about ownCloud: Encryption || Feature Request/Wish

Thomas Gries mail at tgries.de
Wed Aug 28 06:36:11 UTC 2013

Am 27.08.2013 19:42, schrieb Bjoern Schiessle:
> Hello Martin,
>
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:10:32 +0200 Martin Flamm wrote:
>> First, we would like to know what about the server based encryption
>> option. In our ownCloud, the "Encryption" App has no effect. The
>> files are still uncrypted in the filesystem.
> If the encryption app is enabled ownCloud will encrypt all your files
> during the first log-in. So in order to encrypt your files you need to
> log-out and log-in again after enabling the app.

*"Houston, we have a problem": either your statement is incorrect or the
Manual**:
(see _bold underlined_ enhancements)
*
http://doc.owncloud.org/server/5.0/ownCloudUserManual.pdf#Page=14 says:

"3.5.1 What gets encrypted

The current version encrypts all your files stored in ownCloud.
*At the moment we don’t encrypt:**
**• _old versions (versions created before the encryption app was enabled)_*
• old files in the trash bin (files which were deleted before the
encryption app was enabled)
• image thumbnails from the gallery app
• search index from the full text search app
All this data is stored directly on your ownCloud server, so you don’t
have to worry to expose your data to a third party
storage provider."