[Owncloud] feature freeze

Christian Reiner foss at christian-reiner.info
Mon Aug 26 09:06:11 UTC 2013

Moin all,

> >> On Sunday 25 August 2013 21:17:35 Thomas Tanghus wrote:
> >> - There were plans of not allowing apps to call functions in the OC (or
> >> OC_*) namespace. Are those postponed? If not how will it be implemented?

> > On 25.08.2013, at 21:36, Christian Reiner <foss at christian-reiner.info>:
> > Hmmm, just out of interest, since I never heard of this before...
> >
> > I do understand the idea behind this. But such step would mean to crash
> > more or less every non-core app, since the public API simply does not
> > provide all required functions.
> > If such step is planned, wouldn't it make sense to inform app developers
> > beforehand instead of waiting till the release say to be surprised by all
> > apps being broken?
> > The real solution would be to implement all required functions in the
> > public API, but that has to be done first. It has not been done yet. So
> > there currently is no way for app developers to "fix" their apps, except
> > they themselves "fix" the core. Which does not really make sense in my
> > eyes, because it shifts core development to the third party app
> > developers.

> On Monday 26 August 2013 09:46:23 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> You are right. Sorry, I thought I mentioned this plan before.
>
> I think everyone will help to port the 3rdparty apps in time. I think Bart
> did some work already. The plan is to have the public api in place in the
> next few days which means that we still have some time for porting. But
> even if one app is not full ported for the feature freeze than it can and
> should still be released together with ownCloud 6 via the app store or even
> a bit afterwards.
>
> I hope that makes sense.

Well, as mentioned the intention behind the change certainly makes sense.
But still I ask myself now:
* are the external developers going to be addressed directly?
* why is it expected that someone digs through all the apps out there trying
to "fix" them? I mean great that someone invests into this, but wouldn't it be
much easier to inform the external developers beforehand and have them "fix"
their apps? With "to inform" I mean an active contact, like an email, not "to
mention it somewhere".
* Why aren't such changes communicated? In the end this is a break in the
framework. Isn't that worth getting spread?

Please don't get these open words wrong.
But sometimes I just shake my head about how little effort exists in this
project to inform people outside the inner core team.
Why?

Christian Reiner (arkascha)