[Owncloud] feature freeze

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Mon Aug 26 07:46:23 UTC 2013

On 25.08.2013, at 21:36, Christian Reiner <foss at christian-reiner.info> wrote:

> On Sunday 25 August 2013 21:17:35 Thomas Tanghus wrote:
>> On Sunday 25 August 2013 20:40 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
>>> Let me know if you have any questions.
>>
>> - There were plans of not allowing apps to call functions in the OC (or
>> OC_*) namespace. Are those postponed? If not how will it be implemented?
>
> Hmmm, just out of interest, since I never heard of this before...
>
> I do understand the idea behind this. But such step would mean to crash more
> or less every non-core app, since the public API simply does not provide all
> required functions.
> If such step is planned, wouldn't it make sense to inform app developers
> beforehand instead of waiting till the release say to be surprised by all apps
> being broken?
> The real solution would be to implement all required functions in the public
> API, but that has to be done first. It has not been done yet. So there
> currently is no way for app developers to "fix" their apps, except they
> themselves "fix" the core. Which does not really make sense in my eyes,
> because it shifts core development to the third party app developers.

You are right. Sorry, I thought I mentioned this plan before.

I think everyone will help to port the 3rdparty apps in time. I think Bart did some work already.
The plan is to have the public api in place in the next few days which means that we still have some time for porting. But even if one app is not full ported for the feature freeze than it can and should still be released together with ownCloud 6 via the app store or even a bit afterwards.

I hope that makes sense.

Frank