[Owncloud] disappointed users

christian mail at cbuntrock.de
Fri Aug 16 08:45:37 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

one thing mentioned above is getting lost in this discussion: OwnCloud is now at Version 5(!) but still hast problems in CORE features. I don't know what you think, but most other Software is a lot more stable below Version 1. VLC was a long time below V1 but was a lot more stable. You should really think about this. OwnCloud has so many Sync-Problems (have you read the thread about slow sync when uploading many files?). Other things like broken features (have you read the thread about not working calendar in OC?). Again: I don't want to talk about reading stuff in the forums or not. I agree that the forums are not the right place. My point is the fact that OC is not stable now and you guys call it Version 5. That is the main problem. At the moment I do not recommend OC to friends or other people due to slow speed and too much bugs. So I really can understand all those dissappointed users: They download software and it is not stable. It is really annoying for users if they spend time on installing software and then find out it is not working well. It is better to read "be careful with your data, it is still beta". Most people will understand this and they won't become angry because of data loss. Also they will understand why things are slow sometime.

Regarding the Bug Posting: It is also not that easy because it is hard to find the template. Users (as mentioned above) do not know github (and Admins are also users in this context because they are not developers). So you should ask yourself how to make it easier for them. This way you will get more bug posts and more information about your own software.

These main things (stable working core features and easier bug posting) are mandatory for the future success of OC!

Regards
Christian