[Owncloud] ldap user and data folder name

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 14 10:19:19 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
On Mi, 2013-08-14 at 02:14 -0700, Vieri wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that when an LDAP user logs into owncloud a user "home"
>> directory is created in the data subdir. The folder name is the "LDAP
>> user name" (Active Directory's sAMAccountName in my case) just like for
>> the "local" admin user. However, if the LDAP user logs in and adds an
>> external mount point (SMB share) then a new "user dir" is created in
>> the data subdir.
>
> I tried it (though not with SMB but WebDAV) but I got not a second
> folder.

I haven't tried webdav, only smb.

>> This time, instead of the username an ID is used (eg.
>> DFA761B9-4B3C-4E35-9FA9-B84ECBCE53F2).
>
> What are the contents of this folder?

/files_external/uploads/
(empty subdirs)

So all the "important" data seems to be in data/<sAMAccountName> subfolder. However, I don't know why the uploads folder is created.
Note that the "uploads" folder is NOT created under data/<sAMAccountName>/files_external/.

> Can it be it is just some left over from testing configurations or so?
> Can you move it somewhere else and see whether it will be recreated?

No, I tried to login with totally "new" LDAP users and the result is the same.
I also tried to delete the home folder of an ldap user and logged in again but the result was the same (2 subfolders created).

Thanks,

Vieri